The Importance of Protein, Fat and Fibre
Our cat food products contain animal-based proteins that provide for all the essential amino acid requirements for cats. In addition, special refining and quality assurance tests ensure that we only use high quality, highly digestible protein sources for increased digestibility.
Cats are true carnivores and require essential nutrients that aren’t found in plant proteins such as soybean or corn gluten meal. For example, cats require taurine which can only be found in animal-based proteins.
Return to Top
There are two important types of fatty acids for cats: omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-6 fatty acids, found in chicken fat and maize (corn), are essential for maintenance of skin and coat and proper cell membrane structure. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in ingredients such as fish meal or oil, and linseed. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to be important in blood clotting and the inflammatory response. All of our products contain sources of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.
Iams research has shown that including omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in a ratio between 5:1 to 10:1 provides for optimal skin and coat condition in cats. All of our products contain an adjusted omega-6:omega-3 fatty acid ratio between 5:1 to 10:1.
Return to Top
Iams research has shown that moderately fermentable fibre, such as beet pulp, enhances intestinal health. The fermentable part of the fibre is broken down by intestinal bacteria to provide short-chain fatty acids, an energy source for intestinal cells. The nonfermentable component provides bulk for normal feces.
Using only highly fermentable fibres can cause problems, such as excess wind, while using only non-fermentable fibres, such as peanut hulls, promotes excess stool volume, because they are of low nutritional value.
All of our products contain a patented fibre system of moderately fermentable fibre to help keep your cat’s digestive system healthy.
Return to Top
How do our hairball management formulas compare with our other cat formulas?
Our hairball management formulas provide the same high-quality nutrition and taste as our other adult formulas with the added benefit of reducing the risk of hairballs.
Both provide high-quality nutrition for adult cats
- Similar feeding amounts as our other adult formulas
- Excellent stool quality, skin and coat condition, and taurine status
- Similar acceptability and palatability test results as our other adult formulas
- The Iams Company has studied protein sources, fatty acids, and fibre sources to determine what is optimal for dog and cat nutrition and uses those ingredients in our products.
- Our products contain highly digestible, refined animal-based protein sources to provide essential amino acids to dogs and cats.
- Our products include a patented fibre system of moderately fermentable fibres to promote healthy intestines while avoiding fibre sources or levels that can cause gas or excess stool.